Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Cambridge Boys Soccer Defeats Etowah and Wesleyan in Non-Region Play

Cambridge Boys Soccer Defeats Etowah and Wesleyan in Non-Region Play

Cambridge comes from behind twice to down Etowah 5-2 in a grinder of a Non-Region Match

Thursday February 15, 2018 – The Bears came from behind twice in the match to win 5-2 and improve to 4-0 on the year. 

In a match controlled by Cambridge on the pitch but where the score told a different story, just 13 minutes into the match the Bears went down 1-0 only to score an equalizer within a minute, and then conceded another goal at the 20 minute mark of the 1st half to go down 2-1.  With 10 minutes left in the 1sthalf Cambridge pulled even at 2-2. 

The match was somewhat back and forth with Cambridge having 3 times as many shots on goal as Etowah, but Etowah (last year's #6 ranked AAAAAAA team) was very efficient netting 2 of their 3 shots on goal, compared to Cambridge's 10 shots on goal.  Cambridge controlled the pace of play throughout the 2nd half but did find the back of the net until the 37th minute when Ethan Rose scored off an assist from Trey Rielly and then Cambridge netted two more goals in the last minute of play to make the final score 5-2.          

This was a grinder of a match and a real team effort with 4 different players finding the back of the net and 5 different players collecting assists during the match.  Goals were collected by John Barton (2), John Crawley, Ethan Rose and Christian Guzman and assist were credited to John Crawley, Sid Marupudi, Trey Rielly, Reece Degan and Omar Dhrif.  


Cambridge Soccer Holds Off a Scrappy Wesleyan team for a 4-3 Win

Tuesday February 13th - Cambridge traveled to battle a scrappy young Wesleyan team (a semi-finalist last year in Class A and finished the year ranked #3) to a 4-3 decision in favor of the Bears. 

Wesleyan opened the scoring just 7 minutes into the match and then John Barton found the back of the net off an assist from Jarvin Ramirez to knot the match at 1-1.  Cambridge took the lead with 14 minutes left in the 1st half with a brilliant strike from Ben Barfield giving the Bears a 2-1 lead, but Wesleyan responded less than 90 seconds later with a score to tie up the match at 2-2. 

In the 39 ½ minute Reece Degan netted a goal to put the Bears ahead for good and a 3-2 halftime lead.  Cambridge opened the scoring in the 7th minute of the 2nd half with a second goal from Reece Degan giving the Bears some cushion with a 4-2 lead.  Wesleyan netted the final goal of the match in the 32nd minute for a 4-3 final score. 

The result moves the Bears to 3-0 on the year and ties up the series with Wesleyan at 2 wins and 2 losses for each side.  The Bears continue to play possession style soccer with some pace and are controlling play over long periods in the match.  


Harrison Fields