Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Cambridge Boys Varsity Lacrosse Wins OT Thriller Against Allatoona, Friday March 23rd

Cambridge Boys Varsity Lacrosse Wins OT Thriller Against Allatoona, Friday March 23rd

Riding a two-game win streak while playing some of its best lacrosse of the season, the Varsity Boys lacrosse team took the field against a highly skilled opponent in the Allatoona Bucs, Friday, March 23rd.

The points started early for the Bears as Senior Midfielder, Jack Oldham, found the net for an early 1-0 lead.  The defense set the tone early, including a key 1st quarter turnover caused by Senior Defenseman, Jack Lech.  By end of the first quarter, the Bucs offense began to click leading to their 2-1 lead.   Of the many keys to victory, the Bears ability to get ground balls was a factor.  On the night, the team grabbed 32 ground balls compared to 25 from their opponents led by Seniors Hunter Penman and Nick Ganem with six and five, respectively.  As a unit, the long poles collected 13 ground balls for the game leading to critical possessions that ensured the Bears would fight to a halftime lead.  Key second quarter goals by Shiffman, Oldham and Darnell, who scored on a nice assist by Oldham, gave the Bears the 5-4 lead at the break.   

Early second half turnovers and aggressive play by the visitors led to several quick opponent scores and a deepening deficit for the Bears.  A goal by Attackman, Jake Meyerholt, and Oldham's 3rd goal of the game cut the Buc's lead to 9-7 early in the 4th quarter.  Sophomore Evan Finelli, who has played well as the face-off specialist all year, ensured the Bears could allow their offense to continue to threaten the Buc's defense by winning several key face-offs.   For the game, the Bears won 64% of the face offs which proved to be a significant stat as the game evolved. 

With under four minutes to play in regulation, the Bucs scored what appeared to be a defining goal and a commanding lead at 11-8.   Having played in many close games all year, the Bears clawed back with a brilliant double dodge and goal by Zach Shiffman cutting the lead to two with 1:50 to play in regulation.  Jack Oldham, making plays all night long, delivered his fourth goal of the night pulling the Bears to within one just after the team secured the face off.   The Bear's fans were sensing the dramatic comeback!  After a fierce fight for the ball at midfield as the clock wound down, the Bears took possession and put the ball in the hands of Sr. Attackman, Jake Meyerholt.  Meyerholt's confident RIP shot at the goal dramatically hit the top cross bar and came across the goal line for a score with 20 seconds left to tie the game at 11-11 sending the team into their 3rd OT game yet this year.  

Having lost their previous two OT matches, the Bears pulled together as a team stuffing the Bucs offense and ensuring this night would be different.  On a beautiful roll dodge from 'goal line extended', Meyerholt zipped past his defender and delivered the final dagger leading to a well-earned comeback victory for Cambridge Lacrosse 12-11.   

The team's three game win streak will be put on the line again with Harrison coming to Cambridge Stadium on Tuesday, March 27th

Go Bears!